University of California, Riverside

Anderson Graduate School of Management

AGSM Academic Advising & Student Services

Learning Outside the Classroom

Frequently Asked Questions


Internship Requirement

MGT 298-I Fieldwork in Management/ Internship Information
MGT 298-I Fieldwork in Management (1-4) Field, 3-12 hours; consultation, 1 hour. Prerequisite(s): consent of instructor. Supervised field experience culminating in a final report or other academic component. May be repeated for up to 8 units of credit toward the degree.

Q: How do I register for MGT 298-I?

  • Obtain an internship with a company/organization & find a faculty supervisor.
  • Bring an offer letter/resume/position description to the Manager of Internship Programs at the Career Development Center with a completed MGT 298-I application.
  • Once the Manager of Internship Programs approves and signs your application, bring the completed application to your Graduate Advisor.

Q: Can I repeat MGT 298-I multiple times?

  • MGT 298-I may be repeated for up to 8 units of credit toward your degree.

Q: How do MBA students complete the MGT 298-I requirement?

  • MBA students are advised to complete an internship in an area/industry in which they are seeking professional experience. The fieldwork requirement is intended to provide students with hands-on experiential learning in the field of their choice.

Q: Does MGT 298-I have to be completed in the summer?

  • The MGT 298-I requirement can be completed during any quarter during your 1st or 2nd year. If an internship is completed in the summer, the course requirement will be applied to the following quarter. If not, the course requirement will be completed during the quarter you have your internship.

More detailed information can be found in the Fieldwork in Management / Internship Handbook


Q: I have a hold on my account and cannot register for classes. What do they mean, and what should I do?

  • Prerequisite Error Hold: Student has not met the prerequisite for the class. Prerequisite courses are intended to provide students with foundational knowledge and skills necessary to succeed in later coursework. Prerequisites are strictly enforced, no waivers will be granted.
  • Students are encouraged to complete their core courses as early as possible in order to begin taking electives. Contact your advisor if you believe this is an error.
  • Time Conflict Hold: Two or more of your classes have conflicting times. Classes cannot overlap times. Please select another course that will work with your schedule.
  • Department Approval Hold: Usually placed for Internship, Research, or Capstone courses. Contact your advisor to review this.
  • Sexual Violence Hold: All first-year graduate students must complete the in-person and online Sexual Violence Education program. A hold will be placed on your account until you have met this requirement.
  • Delinquent Account Hold: Student owes money. UCR Student Business Services are the only ones who can remove this hold.
  • Academic Probation Hold: Student cannot register for the next quarter until final grades of the current quarter are released. Student must increase GPA to a 3.0 or above in order to continue enrollment. Failure to get off of probation may result in a dismissal from the University.


Q: How many total units do I need to graduate & how long will it take to complete my degree?

  • MBA: Students are responsible for taking a total of 20 courses at the 200 level that make up 80 quarter units.
  • Full-time MBA: Students are required to complete two professional workshops (additional 4 units) & should be able to complete the coursework for the program in two academic years.
  • Professional MBA: Students are required to complete one professional workshop (additional 2 units) & can complete the coursework for the program in as little as two academic years or may spread out their coursework over several years.
  • MPAc: The Master of Professional Accountancy program requires completion of 48 units for graduation. Students should be able to complete the coursework for the program in one academic year. (Note: Students admitted into Track 2 of the MPAc program should be able to complete the coursework for the program in 4 quarters.) 
  • MFin: The Master of Finance program requires completion of 48 units for graduation. Students should be able to complete the coursework for the program in one academic year.

Q: What are the 400 level courses?

  • MGT 402: Business Career Professional Development Workshop – required 2 unit workshop for full-time MBA students. Provides skill development and experience to network in person and via social media outlets. Offers a platform for practical implementation of effective job search strategies in various industries. Sets stage for development and presentation of student’s ideas clearly at internship and job interviews. Taken as S/NC; does not count towards 80 quarter units for MBA.
  • MGT 403: Review of Quantitative Methods for Management – Reviews quantitative concepts and techniques related to the various functional areas of management. Topics include properties of functions, systems of equations and matrices (linear algebra), differentiation and integration (calculus), and basic probability concepts. Taken for a letter grade; does not count towards 80 quarter units for MBA.
  • MGT 404: Communications, Leadership, Teams, and Ethics – required 2 unit workshop for all MBA students. Uses case discussions, presentations, and theoretically informed readings to develop communication, presentation, and leadership skills; examine the principles of effective teamwork; and introduce representative ethical issues confronting managers. Taken as S/NC; does not count towards 80 quarter units for MBA.

Q: Do I have to take Management 403: Review of Quantitative Methods for Management?

  • The MBA Program has a program prerequisite (MGT 403) that can be met in one of three ways: 1. Equivalent college-level coursework completed within three years prior to enrollment with a grade of “B” or better as verified by transcripts. 2. Students may take a waiver exam prior to the first day of instruction. 3. Successful completion of MGT 403 taken during the first quarter in residence.

Q: What is a passing grade & is there a certain GPA I must maintain?

  • Only courses in which grades of “A, B, C or S” are received are counted toward satisfying graduate degree requirements. To continue in good standing and obtain an advanced degree, students must maintain a 3.0 overall GPA.

Q: Can I take a class as S/NC?

  • Graduate students may take course work on an S/NC basis only when the course description indicates that this is an option. Graduate students may not use undergraduate or graduate courses taken on an S/NC basis to complete their Master’s or PhD requirements, unless the course is only offered on an S/NC basis. Exceptions must be approved by the Dean of the Graduate Division.

Q: Does the MBA have a concentration requirement?

  • The MBA does not have a concentration requirement, however, you have the opportunity to customize your curriculum in the area of your interest with the electives offered. It is good to take electives from more than one concentration area in order to be a well-rounded student of business.

Q: When is the last day to add/drop a class?

  • The last day to add/drop a class without receiving a “W” grade is the Friday of Week 2. Any changes to your schedule after that date must be used with an Enrollment Adjustment Form & may require signatures from the Graduate Advisor and Dean of the Graduate Division.

Q: Is advising required before I register for classes?

  • Advising is not required, but highly recommended

Q: Do I have to follow a degree plan?

  • The Track 1 MPAc & MFin programs have a set of classes that you take every quarter with your cohort so that you are guaranteed to complete the program in one academic year. The Full-time MBA program has a plan to follow during the first year, but your second year has more options with the elective units.

Q: What’s the difference between the Directed Studies class & the Research for Thesis or Dissertation?

  • The Directed Studies class (MGT 290) is intended to provide an opportunity for qualified students to undertake advanced work in a topic appropriate to the student’s special interests and needs, which is not covered in a regularly offered course on campus. You must find a professor to work one on one as an independent study. Course is repeatable.
  • The Research for Thesis or Dissertation (MGT 299) is an option for the graduation requirement. Students may elect to write a thesis over taking a comprehensive examination in MGT 238.

Academic Student Employment (TAs and Readers)

Q. How can I become a Teaching Assistant?

  • AGSM hires teaching assistants on an annual basis. Our recruiting process starts in early December, when we begin hosting information sessions for first year MBA and PhD students interested in being a TA during their second year. MFIN and MPAc students may also attend if they are staying for a fourth quarter. Following several information sessions throughout winter, we release applications in the spring and make hiring decisions in June and July. In order to be eligible, students must be enrolled full time and have at least a 3.0 GPA. Other requirements can be found directly on the graduate division website.

Please Note: TAs are usually granted 50% appointments (approximately 20 hours per week), which is the maximum student employment allowed by campus. Therefore, you will normally not be allowed to hold any other positions on campus while employed as a Teaching Assistant.

Q. How can I become a Reader?

  • Unlike TAs, AGSM hires readers on a quarterly basis. This means that you can be hired throughout the academic year. Applications for Reader positions will be available in August. Readers typically work in undergraduate business elective courses.

Q. What is the difference between Teaching Assistants and Readers?

  • Teaching Assistants are instructors who oversee 1-2 discussion sections in an undergraduate class (BUS 010-109). They are expected to attend lecture, teach their discussions, and host regular office hours for students in the Undergraduate Programs Office (Olmsted 2340). They are compensated through a quarterly stipend, partial fee remission, and graduate health insurance coverage. Readers are not instructors, but they do assist the professor with grading responsibilities and other tasks as needed. They are compensated through an hourly wage. Students are not typically employed at Teaching Assistants and Readers in the same quarter. See the table with more information about compensation.  

Financial Aid and Fellowships

Q. Who do I speak to if I have a question about paying for my tuition and fees?

  • AGSM students pay for their tuition and fees using a combination of personal funding, loans, and fellowships. If you have a question regarding your student loan, please contact the Financial Aid Office on campus ( If your question is regarding your Fellowship, you can ask your Academic Advisor (Heather Anderson or Shannon Esdale). If your question is regarding payment, you can ask Student Business Services (

Q. How can I get additional funding while at AGSM?

  • AGSM rarely awards scholarships after the point of admission, but we do offer opportunities for additional funding in the form of student employment. As a Teaching Assistant, students can earn over $12,000 per quarter in the form of stipend, fees, and health insurance. Similarly, students can apply for a reader position, which offers an hourly wage. For more information about this please look under the “Academic Student Employment” section of the FAQ page. Lastly, students can seek additional funding through employment outside of AGSM. Our school offers three full time Career Development Advisors to assist our students with securing professional employment throughout Southern California. Learn more about the Career Development Center

Q. What do I need to do to maintain my Fellowship?

  • Each Fellowship awarded has specific stipulations attached. Please refer to your original offer letter to understand the academic and enrollment requirements tied to your Fellowship.

More Information 

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

Contact Information

The A. Gary Anderson Graduate School of Management

Graduate Programs Office
102 Anderson Hall, South

Tel: (951) 827-6200
Fax: (951) 827-2055